As seen on HelloGiggles.com
This recipe was first posted on HelloGiggles as part of my Cupcake Girl column.
|Photo by Robert Giglio|
What you’ll need
• 2 ¾ cups sifted flour (1 ¼ cups cake flour and 1 ½ cups all purpose flour)
• 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder, just a tad less is good.
• 1/2 teaspoon salt, just a tad less is good.
• 4 egg whites
• 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
• 1 ½ cups sugar ( ¾ cup granulated, ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar)
• 3/4 cup butter, softened
• 1/4 cup milk
• 1/4 cup vodka
• 1/2 cup Kahlua
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Beat egg whites until foamy with cream of tartar. In a separate bowl, cream butter and add sugar. Blend egg mixture into this bowl. Combine milk, Kahlua and vodka, set aside. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk mixture, a small amount at a time. Blend in extract. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool.
Now for the Kahlua buttercream frosting!
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2-3 cups powdered sugar, by taste/texture
¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon Kahlua, or Kahlua to taste
Mix it up! Frost cupcakes and garnish with cocoa powder.